Glass fiber reinforced composites have attracted great, widely used specific industrial areas such as defense, aerospace, etc. However, composite plates are defenseless to damage accumulation such as matrix cracks, fiber delamination, and delamination, which limits the application of glass composites in specific industrial areas at limited strength levels. Therefore, analysis of the behavior of composites under the out-of-plane loads is essential to optimize such material. This study examines the out-of-plane loading performance of multi-scale glass/epoxy composite laminate. To improve the load-carrying performance in the direction of out-of-plane, the halloysite nanotube (HNT) particle reinforcement was introduced to the epoxy matrix. The three-point bending tests were conducted to attain the out-of-plane load-carrying performance. The findings show that the flexural strength increases by almost 20% for the HNT-modified glass/epoxy composite compared to the unmodified counterpart; meanwhile, the toughness is effectively improved with the HNT addition. Moreover, the damage process of specimens in three-point bending tests was detected by microscopic examination.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
- Zhang, J., Ju, S., Jiang, D., and Peng, H.-X., 2013, Reducing dispersity of mechanical properties of carbon fiber/epoxy composites by introducing multi-walled carbon nanotubes, Composites Part B: Engineering, 54: 371-376.
- Wang, F., Drzal, L.T., Qin, Y., and Huang, Z., 2016, Size effect of graphene nanoplatelets on the morphology and mechanical behavior of glass fiber/epoxy composites, Journal of materials science, 51(7): 3337-3348.
- Velmurugan, R. and Manikandan, V., 2007, Mechanical properties of palmyra/glass fiber hybrid composites, Composites Part A: applied science and manufacturing, 38(10): 2216-2226.
- Yang, B., Kozey, V., Adanur, S., and Kumar, S., 2000, Bending, compression, and shear behavior of woven glass fiber–epoxy composites, Composites Part B: Engineering, 31(8): 715-721.
- Garg, M., Sharma, S., and Mehta, R., 2015, Pristine and amino functionalized carbon nanotubes reinforced glass fiber epoxy composites, Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing, 76: 92-101.
- Li, J., Wu, Z., Huang, C., and Li, L., 2014, Multiscale carbon nanotube-woven glass fiber reinforced cyanate ester/epoxy composites for enhanced mechanical and thermal properties, Composites science and technology, 104: 81-88.
- Nayak, B.A., Prusty, R.K., and Ray, B.C., 2020, Effect of nanosilica and nanoclay reinforcement on flexural and thermal properties of glass fiber/epoxy composites, Materials Today: Proceedings, 33: 5098-5102.
- Kaybal, H.B., 2021, An experimental study on interlaminar shear strength and fracture toughness: Carbon fiber reinforced epoxy composites enhanced with the CaCO3 nanoparticles, Niğde Ömer Halisdemir Üniversitesi Mühendislik Bilimleri Dergisi, 10(2): 777-783.
- Kaybal, H.B., Ulus, H., Demir, O., Şahin, Ö.S., and Avcı, A., 2018, Effects of alumina nanoparticles on dynamic impact responses of carbon fiber reinforced epoxy matrix nanocomposites, Engineering Science and Technology, an International Journal, 21(3): 399-407.
- Shi, G., Zhang, M.Q., Rong, M.Z., Wetzel, B., and Friedrich, K., 2004, Sliding wear behavior of epoxy containing nano-Al2O3 particles with different pretreatments, Wear, 256(11-12): 1072-1081.
- Fathy, A., Shaker, A., Hamid, M.A., and Megahed, A., 2017, The effects of nano-silica/nano-alumina on fatigue behavior of glass fiber-reinforced epoxy composites, Journal of Composite Materials, 51(12): 1667-1679.
- Pathak, A.K., Borah, M., Gupta, A., Yokozeki, T., and Dhakate, S.R., 2016, Improved mechanical properties of carbon fiber/graphene oxide-epoxy hybrid composites, Composites Science and Technology, 135: 28-38.
- Godara, A., Mezzo, L., Luizi, F., Warrier, A., Lomov, S.V., Van Vuure, A.W., Gorbatikh, L., Moldenaers, P., and Verpoest, I., 2009, Influence of carbon nanotube reinforcement on the processing and the mechanical behaviour of carbon fiber/epoxy composites, Carbon, 47(12): 2914-2923.
- Zhang, W., Deng, X., Sui, G., and Yang, X., 2019, Improving interfacial and mechanical properties of carbon nanotube-sized carbon fiber/epoxy composites, Carbon, 145: 629-639.
- Dalkılıç, A.S., Yalçın, G., Küçükyıldırım, B.O., Öztuna, S., Eker, A.A., Jumpholkul, C., Nakkaew, S., and Wongwises, S., 2018, Experimental study on the thermal conductivity of water-based CNT-SiO2 hybrid nanofluids, International Communications in Heat and Mass Transfer, 99: 18-25.
- Li, X., Gao, J., Yang, Y., Fang, H., Han, Y., Wang, X., and Ge, W., 2013, Nanomaterials in the application of tumor vaccines: advantages and disadvantages, OncoTargets and therapy, 6: 629.
- Li, Y., Kang, L., Bai, G., Li, P., Deng, J., Liu, X., Yang, Y., Gao, F., and Liang, W., 2014, Solvothermal synthesis of Fe2O3 loaded activated carbon as electrode materials for high-performance electrochemical capacitors, Electrochimica Acta, 134: 67-75.
- Pal, P., Malas, A., Maitra, A., Das, C.K., Nigam, V., and Saxena, A.K., 2015, Dual effect of polyphosphazene and halloysite nanotubes in the blends of poly (phenylene oxide)/liquid crystalline polymer, Polymer-Plastics Technology and Engineering, 54(17): 1765-1771.
- Kausar, A., 2018, Review on polymer/halloysite nanotube nanocomposite, Polymer-Plastics Technology and Engineering, 57(6): 548-564.
- Hashmi, M.A., 2019, Enhancement of mechanical properties of epoxy/halloysite nanotube (HNT) nanocomposites, SN Applied Sciences, 1(4): 1-8.
- Melaibari, A.A., Attia, M.A., El-baky, A., and Marwa, A., 2021, Understanding the effect of halloysite nanotubes addition upon the mechanical properties of glass fiber aluminum laminate, Fibers and Polymers, 22(5): 1416-1433.
- Ulus, H., Kaybal, H.B., Eskizeybek, V., and Avcı, A., 2021, Significantly improved shear, dynamic-mechanical, and mode II fracture performance of seawater aged basalt/epoxy composites: The impact of halloysite nanotube reinforcement, Engineering Science and Technology, an International Journal, 24(4): 1005-1014.
- Ulus, H., Kaybal, H.B., Eskizeybek, V., and Avcı, A., 2020, Halloysite nanotube reinforcement endows ameliorated fracture resistance of seawater aged basalt/epoxy composites, Journal of composite materials, 54(20): 2761-2779.
- Khan, A. and Saxena, K.K., 2022, A review on enhancement of mechanical properties of fiber reinforcement polymer composite under different loading rates, Materials Today: Proceedings, 56: 2316-2322.
- Alamri, H. and Low, I.M., 2012, Microstructural, mechanical, and thermal characteristics of recycled cellulose fiber‐halloysite‐epoxy hybrid nanocomposites, Polymer Composites, 33(4): 589-600.
- Ulus, H., Kaybal, H.B., Eskizeybek, V., and Avcı, A., 2019, Enhanced salty water durability of halloysite nanotube reinforced epoxy/basalt fiber hybrid composites, Fibers and Polymers, 20: 2184-2199.
- Chen, C., Zhang, X.-y., Yan, X.-j., Ren, J., Huang, D.-w., and Qi, M.-j., 2018, Effect of laser shock peening on combined low-and high-cycle fatigue life of casting and forging turbine blades, Journal of Iron and Steel Research International, 25(1): 108-119.
- Seretis, G., Kouzilos, G., Manolakos, D., and Provatidis, C., 2017, On the graphene nanoplatelets reinforcement of hand lay-up glass fabric/epoxy laminated composites, Composites Part B: Engineering, 118: 26-32.
- Singh, K., Chaudhary, S., and Venugopal, R., 2019, Enhancement of flexural strength of glass fiber reinforced polymer laminates using multiwall carbon nanotubes, Polymer Engineering & Science, 59(S1): E248-E261.
- Prusty, R.K., Rathore, D.K., Shukla, M.J., and Ray, B.C., 2015, Flexural behaviour of CNT-filled glass/epoxy composites in an in-situ environment emphasizing temperature variation, Composites Part B: Engineering, 83: 166-174.
- Rahman, M., Zainuddin, S., Hosur, M., Malone, J., Salam, M., Kumar, A., and Jeelani, S., 2012, Improvements in mechanical and thermo-mechanical properties of e-glass/epoxy composites using amino functionalized MWCNTs, Composite Structures, 94(8): 2397-2406.
- Kaybal, H.B., Ulus, H., and Avcı, A., 2021, Seawater aged basalt/Epoxy composites: improved bearing performance with halloysite nanotube reinforcement, Fibers and Polymers, 22: 1643-1652.
- Özer, M. and Kaybal, H.B., 2022, Low‐velocity impact response of halloysite nanotube reinforced glass/epoxy multi‐scale composite. Part 1: Dynamic loading performance, Polymer Composites, 43(11): 8377-8387.
- Kaybal, H.B., Ulus, H., Eskizeybek, V., and Avcı, A., 2021, An experimental study on low velocity impact performance of bolted composite joints part 1: Influence of halloysite nanotubes on dynamic loading response, Composite Structures, 258: 113415.